Shine For Military Children
Many of our active military service men and woman will be missing. Their jobs, ensuring our freedom around the globe, takes precedence over celebrating with loved ones.
Regardless of your cultural heritage, family and friends are the touchstone that create the memories we cherish, especially for our children. Military sons and daughters are not only uprooted from one state to another, changing schools, friends and activities, they must deal with the absence of their mother or father.
A challenging task for these dear ones, especially so during the holidays. “We wait. We hope. We pray. Until you’re home again.”
FORTUNATELY, we can help lighten their burden. There are organizations in place that recognizes the difficulties our military families face. Here are a few ways you can provide a better holiday for those who give so much. Let us shine for military children.
- Amazon Smiles: “AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support.” To help military children, choose Military Children Charity: Gift Distribution. “MCC receives new gifts and monetary donations for American Service members children, ages 0 18 years old, to acknowledge their repeated sacrifices. These new or purchased gifts include toys, Easter baskets, backpacks with school supplies and occasionally other new gifts for the children, such as diapers, new books and new baby clothing.”
- Operation Holiday Joy: From Operation Holiday Joy website: http://www.asymca.org/programs/operation-holiday-joy/ “Help make the holidays brighter for military families: We are continuing to see an increased need in both demand and support for this program. Young heroes and their families are voluntarily serving and sacrificing daily so we can continue to enjoy our freedoms and way of life. YOUR support demonstrates an appreciation for the sacrifices required of these dedicated defenders of our country. We look forward to receiving your support to continue making military life easier this holiday, and every holiday season.” For additional information on Operation Holiday Joy featured on this website: http://www.starspangledboomerang.com/operation-holiday-joy
- VFW Post 3944 Overland-St. Ann, Missouri, 10815 Midland Blvd. (314)427-0391. Rick Crabtree “Our VFW post has a Breakfast with Santa for children and grand children of Veterans in our area. Saturday, December 19, 2015 @ 9am. All that we ask is to give us a count of how many are attending and their ages, so we can have age appropriate gifts for them. Post 3944 also sponsors an Easter egg hunt for these children. If your children qualify and are interested in these events, please contact me and I will be happy to provide the information. Contact the VFW in your area for similar available programs.
- OPERATION HOMEFRONT HOLIDAY TOY DRIVE: http://www.operationhomefront.net/holidaytoys/
“Operation Homefront’s 2015 HOLIDAY TOY DRIVE program to distribute toys and gift cards to junior enlisted military families is gearing up for another year!
Last year, millions of toys were donated at Dollar Tree stores nationwide. These items and other holiday gifts were distributed to our most junior service members to show our Nation’s appreciation and supplement the family holiday. Thank you to all who helped us out. GET INVOLVED
- – Visit your local Dollar Tree between Nov. 1 and Dec. 3 and donate toys to help make the holidays brighter for our military families.
- – Set up a Collection Bin at your office, store, church or school –we’ll provide the signage!
- – Collect toys & gift cards at your company holiday party
- – Help us distribute toys in your area
- – Become a Dollar Tree volunteer and help pick up donated toys from a local store
- – Organize a matching gift program at work
- – Make a tax-deductible donation to Operation Homefront’s Holiday Toy Drive
Event registration is now open for most of our locations…check our events page for an event in your area. Check back often as registrations will be opening over the next several days. Be sure to follow Operation Homefront’s Facebook page to learn when these and other registrations for events in your area open. Thank you to all of the sponsors, donors, and volunteers who are making this year’s Holiday Toy Drive a success.”
WE CAN brighten our military children’s holiday. Shine On!
“Sleep well, America. Our Soldier/Sailor/Marine/Airmen/Coastie has your back.”